Mock Trial Travels to State Competition

Heath Stevens

Mock Trial team poses after the competition with coach Scott Colom.

Georgia Tucker, Sports Editor

Mock Trial teams A and B from MSMS, coached by Mr. Scott Colom, district attorney and Columbus native, traveled to compete in the state competition on Friday and Saturday in Jackson, Mississippi.

“I was nervous going into the competition because I had never performed as a lawyer before, but I was also confident because we had prepared a lot,” said Emily Shy, senior.

Team A competed in the championship round and was defeated by Sacred Heart High School, taking second place. Team B placed right behind team A, taking third in the state.

“In the final round we were plaintiff and they were defense. It was pretty close, but ultimately we were defeated by Sacred Heart. Finishing the final round was an incredibly special moment, especially for Emily and I as we had just finished our last mock trial competition. The second the judge and jury left the room to deliberate, Emily, Mariat, and I (who were the lawyers for that side) looked at each other and starting hugging and crying. We were so proud of each other and how far we had come,” Claudia Vial said.

For the second year in a row MSMS is the only school in the state to have two teams place in the top six.

“The members of Team B lacked experience with Mock Trial before this year, so it was super impressive how well they did,” Shy said.

Team A competed in five rounds with three wins and two losses. Team A defeated Lamar, Long Beach, and MSMS team B, but lost to Sacred Heart twice. Team B defeated Madison Central and Jackson Prep but was defeated by MSMS Team A and Oxford.

“We performed the best we ever had in that final round and left everything in the courtroom,” Vial said.

Junior Mariat Thankachan participated in mock trial at her previous high school, Clarksdale High School.

“I appreciated how mock trial helped me become a better speaker and gain confidence to portray a lawyer in a case that is based on a true event. By joining the team here I have gained invaluable experience and knowledge from the best coach in the state, Scott Colom. I am definitely looking forward to competing next year,” Thankachan said.