An Unlikely and Disliked President-Elect

Rebecca Chen’s illustration captures the range of emotions of Hillary supporters on election night.

Jackson Sparkman, Writer for the Vision

When MSMS hosted a mock election, 54 percent of the vote went to the Democratic nominee for president, Hillary Clinton. Third party candidates did moderately well with Gary Johnson (Libertarian) getting 8.1 percent of the vote, and Jill Stein (Green Party) receiving 7.1 percent.

Only 18.5 percent of the student body gave their vote for the Republican party nominee.

Anjeli Hoskins, a junior at MSMS, said prior to the election, “I think we’re going to end up with Hillary.”

Cody Welbourn, another student at MSMS, echoed Hoskins’ thoughts.

“I think Hillary is going to get it because it says she’s going to win in the polls.”

Many people thought Hillary Rodham Clinton would be the 45th president of the United States of America, and they were wrong.

In a stunning turn of events, Donald Trump won the presidency in the Electoral College, 290 pledged votes to Trump compared to 232 votes Clinton (at press time). Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, 61,047,000 compared to Trump’s 60,375,000.

The morning after, many students wore black clothing to represent the “death of America,” said Hoskins.

Protests started and still continue in major cities. The hashtag that started and stayed on the “Trending” list on twitter for two days was #notmypresident.

“We can’t do anything about it now, we have him for four years,” junior Devon Matheny said.

“Michelle Obama 2020,” Vivia Davis called out in the cafeteria.

The leaders of the three major party political clubs sent out statements on the election.

Achintya Prasad, president of Young Republicans said, “Many see this as a victory for xenophobia and hatred. I challenge everyone to prove otherwise.”

Dustin Dunaway, president for Young Independents, said “We must come together to heal the rifts that have grown in our parties and communities.”

The co-president of Young Democrats, Braeden Foldenauer, said in his statement, “I call upon you to not let the results of this election divide us further, and now is the time to break down the barriers that we have built over the past several months.”

No matter the magnitude of the reaction to the results, students must realize research papers are still due Friday.