Juniors’ Journey So Far

Lyndsey Risinger, Assistant Sports Editor

For many MSMS students, the workload of attending a a residential school can be a lot to bear This is especially true for the newest students on campus. The classes at MSMS are notably more challenging than those at students’ home schools.

Junior Lydia Holley proclaimed her classes as “harder.” Despite the rigor of their new schedules, this has not stopped students from enjoying their time learning, and finding classes that suit their curiosity.

From physics to economics to Shakespeare, there are plenty of classes at MSMS for juniors to meet their interests. As the end of the first nine weeks grading period is coming to an end, most of the juniors have settled into the routine of their courses and the work assigned with them.

For many, if not all entering juniors, changes had to be made to tailor the rigorous classes. Junior Rosie Andrews said that to adjust from her old school to MSMS, “I don’t really have a social life, I mostly just stay in my room and do homework.”

While the most daunting thing about MSMS might be the academia, perhaps the hardest to adjust to is living away from home.

The end of the grading period not only brings about academic adjustments, but also commemorates the nine-week mark of the new juniors living in a dormitory setting for school.

For some students, the residential aspect of MSMS is exciting, but many have found it hard to fare without their usual home routine. Junior Sara Claire Scwiderski said the most difficult aspect is adjusting to the noise from the train track located outside her window.”

She added that the dorm room is “a little more cramped than I’m used to.”

Though there are cons and pros of dorm life, Lydia Holley said living in the residence hall is positive when “you’re living next to a bunch of people right down the hall that can help you if you need it.”

As the first nine weeks comes to an end, the class of 2018 is finally getting comfortable with their new life at MSMS. Things are finally starting to loosen up a bit from the strict regimen of the first few weeks.

Whether signing out at their own will, or merely closing their doors for study hours, the newfound freedom of privilege plans awaits the class of 2018, as does the next 27 weeks of their junior year here at MSMS.