In Memory of 9/11

Flower arrangement // Photo credit: Ms. LaToya Bledsoe

Vivienne Tenev, Assistant Photography Editor

9/11 Memorial
Students gather for the event. // Photo Credit: Ms. LaToya Bledsoe

MSMS paid tribute to the victims of the tragic accident of September 11, 2001. The memorial is a tradition of MSMS, started around 2008.

Residence Life Director LaToya Bledsoe started the tradition because, “I was inspired to educate MSMS students about the importance of what 9/11 stood for and lives that were lost.  I always share the story with students on where I was that tragic day and how 9/11 affected the entire world.”

She describes the event as “a student-led program where I want the focus to be on the student body.  Students over the past few years have been very creative in working with me on implementing and planning a successful program.”

This year Braeden Foldenauer, SGA President Jenny Nguyen and Senior Class President Mayuka Datta each presented portions of the memorial speech, emphasizing the heroism and bravery of those connected to the devastating event.

I was really inspired by Ms. Latoya’s desire to educate us on the events of 9/11, and I wanted to help make it meaningful,” Braeden explained “I collaborated with Mayukh and Jenny some to make sure our speeches weren’t overlapping, but each of us were really given freedom over our small portions of the performance. That’s why it was so neat for it to come together so well!”

A few MSMS clubs were also involved in the program. MSMS Voices in Harmony Choir sang pieces such as “Star Spangled Banner” and “America the Beautiful”.

The Green Urn Society recited a poem for the audience, while the Strings Club and clarinet and flute players delivered peaceful songs, “You’re A Grand Old Flag” and “Be Still, My Soul.”

The memorial was deemed a success, and Mrs. Latoya affirmed that the ceremony “was by far one of the best I’ve seen and it gets better every year! “