Seniors Enjoy A Night of Skating

MSMS+seniors+enjoy+a+skate+night+with+friends+at+the+local+Skate+Zone.+

Margarete Ellis

MSMS seniors enjoy a skate night with friends at the local Skate Zone.

Gary Nguyen, News Editor

With the school year looming , seniors took advantage of their last night before classes started to skate their summer away.  While the new juniors were enjoying their annual picnic last Tuesday, the Class of 2018 boarded the shuttles and accelerated to Columbus Skate Zone, ready to take off on their final MSMS voyage with lasting memories.

The vibrant rink was filled with spirited skaters of all skill levels, from the inexperienced clinging to the carpeted walls to the adept zooming past others on the disco track.  For several, it was their first time on the floor. Despite the occasional skidding sounds and yelps of pain, students shared  helping hands and resounding laughter.

Hayden Stokley, a senior who was a first-time skater, expressed appreciation for the bonding experience.

“I enjoyed skating with my friends. I am not very skilled in skating, so when I fell, there was always somebody there to help pick up me and skate again. We were all one big community–the same way we are at school,” Stokley stated.

Off the rink, the smells of french fries and burgers from the food corner wafted through the arena, and the rustling sounds of tickets floated around the arcade booths. Several students even hit the jackpot when it came to the various games, including senior Shuchi Patel, who used her 122 tickets to trade-in for some souvenirs along with an orange-flavored lollipop.

For those wishing for more of an adrenaline rush, the club employees organized interactive competitions such as Sharks and Wipe-Out.  While the students rushed past the “sharks” slashing their roller skates on the floor, many were attacked with foam swords until a lone survivor remained. Wipe-Out, a competition between the boys and the girls, involved dropping flat to the floor each time the music paused.  

With college applications and graduation in sight, most were glad to have been able to skate their worries away, at least for a while.