Labor Day Weekend and Extra Sleep

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

The first extended weekend schedule
Joy Carino/ The Vision
The first extended weekend schedule

This Labor Day weekend, MSMS will be emptied of its students as they all head home for Extended Weekend. While some will return to their hometowns to see their old friends and family, others may spend the weekend at a new friend’s house. Regardless of where they go, all students will be required to clean rooms, lock doors, and leave the residence halls. They will return by the following Monday night’s study hours.
The excitement has even spread to the teachers. Mrs. Zarandona said, “I am so excited for the break because my parents are coming down from Ohio.”
The seniors, having gone through this many times before, are mostly grateful for an extra day off. Senior Vasu Srevatsan said, “I feel like this has come at a good time. It’s been completely busy for the first couple of weeks.”

Many plan to work on college applications as well. For most, the extended weekend will be a chance to catch up on work, much-needed sleep, and family time. “I’m excited to go home, spend time with my family, and dedicate time to my ACT prep,” said senior Ella Stone.
For the juniors, the first extended weekend aroused mixed feelings. “I feel like I want to go, but I don’t want to go. I love the people here, but I also miss my friends at home,” said junior Holliday Garrison. Vivian Van said that having to leave MSMS for a few days felt “like summer camp is ending.”

For some students, this is the first time they will have gone home after living at MSMS for more than one month. “I’m so ready,” said John Wells, “I’m looking forward to hanging out with my old friends.” Another familiar sentiment is homesickness. Kate Shelton stated, “I’ve not been home yet, so I am very much looking forward to going home. It’s an awesome experience, but I miss my family.”

Katie Stovall said, “I’m so overjoyed. Friday at 2:35, I’m gone. You’re gonna see, like, little wind you see behind cartoon characters. Yep, out the door.”
Though many juniors have already found home at MSMS, they will also experience the shocks of seeing their hometown again and getting some sleep after August’s busy schedules and piles of homework. Mike Sanderford shared his feelings about the extended weekend: “…this is a new experience for us. I’m pretty anxious to get back home because I do miss my family, and I want to go to a football game. But I’m gonna miss the new family and new friends that I made,” he said.