RA of the Week: Kelvin Cockrell, Jr.

Courtesy of Kelvin Cockrell, Jr.

Along with the rest of the members of Chamber Singers, Cockrell took a trip to Scotland, where, in addition to singing, visited castles and hiked a mountain.

Aurelia Caine, Sports Editor

This week’s RA Spotlight shines on Mr. Kelvin Deon Cockrell, Jr.

On March 25, 1998, Cockrell was born to Ida Edwards and Kelvin Cockrell, Sr. While growing up in Carrollton, Alabama, Cockrell attended Gordo High School where he was known for his singing and dancing abilities. In his younger days, he was the star in many musicals. Not only did he participate in the arts, but Cockrell was also in many clubs: Future Business Leaders of America, Upward Bound and Mu Alpha Theta. Also during these days, Cockrell travelled the country with his family.

“I didn’t do a lot of extravagant things, but I did travel a lot. I travelled to a bunch of different states. My mom is from the Bahamas, so I travelled there a couple of times as well,” Cockrell said.

Cockrell is now a sophomore at The Mississippi University for Women. He is majoring in communication and minoring in theater. At the W, Cockrell is involved in even more clubs than he was in high school: Men of Excellence, Audacity, Chamber Singers, Dream United, and United Harmony.

Kyia King, a student at the W and also member in Audacity and Chamber Singers, says, “Kelvin is a high spirited bottle of joy who is also a people person. While being in Scotland, he showed vast leadership qualities especially when during the times we, as a group, would get lost. Being on the Audacity Dance Team with him shows the many dance moves he has. Lastly, as a person, he has shown growth as an individual in many areas of his life.”

Cockrell emphasizes that he spends most of his spare time listening to music. His favorite genre of music is rap, and his favorite artist is Nas. Though he didn’t play in high school, Cockrell also enjoys watching sports like football, basketball, and softball. Respectively, his favorite college teams are Alabama, Texas A&M, and Auburn.

When starting his sophomore year in August 2017, Cockrell also started his association with MSMS. He mentions that he was persuaded to apply by one of his now coworkers, Emmanuel Moore, who directed him to speak with Mr. Hansel Jackson, Frazer’s Hall Director.

“I was very excited when I found out I got the job. I knew that this meant the start of a new adventure for me,” says Cockrell.

The students around campus know Cockrell better as “Jay.” A lot of MSMS students express that they consider him as a cool guy to be around.

“Jay is funny, really helpful, and an extremely fun guy to talk to and hang out with. He’s also always laughing,” MSMS senior David Thaggard said.

Cockrell’s plans are to be involved with the production side of either television or radio. This summer, he intends on doing an internship at WCBI to learn more knowledge about the career. He aspires to get his master’s when he graduates, but he doesn’t know where just yet. His dream destination to work in life is Texas. Though Cockrell isn’t quite sure where he wants to be next or how difficult it may be, he is prepared to be successful. Cockrell emphasizes that giving up is not an option, and his favorite quote says it all: “It could be worse.”