Seniors Volunteer for JMWV Program

donated by Aurelia Caine

Carey Williams, Aurelia Caine, and Daniel Leetran volunteering

Jilkiah Bryant, Staff Writer

Junior Master Wellness Volunteering is a sub-division of the Mississippi State University Extension 4-H Program. This program is offered to any teen between 14-18 who aim to improve health literacy and healthy lifestyle choices. Three MSMS seniors, Aurelia Caine, Carey Williams and Daniel Leetran participate in this program.

They got involved as a JMWV through the Rural Medical Scholars Program that they attended this summer at Mississippi State University. Rural Medical Scholars (RMS) is a six-week program where students are exposed to healthcare and offered hands-on learning activities that include job shadowing.  Upon completion of the program, they were required to do 24 hours of community service. They connected with their supervisor Mrs. Sharon Patrick, a 4H extension agent to do community service as a JMWV.

As JMWVs, the three seniors talk to organizations and clubs about their healthcare while doing hands-on tasks such as measuring blood pressure. This week they will be volunteering around the Columbus area. “On Tuesday and Thursday of this week, we will be going to the community centers around the Columbus area to volunteer and educate them about their health. We will be taking their blood pressures, but legally we cannot make a diagnosis if we find something wrong. We can suggest to them to see a doctor though. This week, we will be talking to young adolescents, K-12,” Caine explained.

During Halloween, the JMWV volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club where they set up a table and they talked to the parents and students about healthcare. “The event that stood out to me the most was the Halloween event at the Boys and Girls Club. There I was able to put a lot of my RMS skills into action and really get a real world glimpse into the field of healthcare outside of RMS,” Williams stated.

“The Boys and Girls Club Annual Halloween event was what I most enjoyed. A lot of parents knew they had high blood pressure and health issues, but they did not know what to do about it so as a volunteer we discussed their options and gave them suggestions of what they should do. Our job is to educate them and be there to aid them in their well-being,” Caine added.

As MSMS students, they try to include their peers in the JMWV program.

“We encourage MSMS students to join 4H so that they may be a part of the program. In addition, I highly recommend juniors attend Rural Medical Scholars because of the opportunities that will be set before them. JMWV is only one of the many available opportunities offered,” Caine said.