The Eyes of MSMS

National Merit Semifinalist Spotlight Beams on Kevin Liao

Kevin+Liao
Kevin Liao

Kevin Liao

donated by the MSMS Vision

donated by the MSMS Vision

Kevin Liao

Jilkiah Bryant, Staff Writer

In this week’s edition of the “National Merit Semifinalist Spotlight,” The Vision introduces Kevin Liao, who was recognized as one out of twelve students from the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science as a National Merit Semifinalists on September 13, 2017.

For those who are unaware, in order to become a National Merit Semifinalist a student has to score the “magic number” on the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test/National Merit Qualifying Test. The main purposes of this test are twofold: first, it’s practice for the actual SAT. In addition, it is used to select students seeking National Merit Scholarships which are awarded spring term of the senior year and to choose students for the National Achievement Scholarship Program for outstanding African-American students.

Liao attended Starkville High School before attending MSMS as a junior last year. He feels as if school doesn’t prepare you for the PSAT under certain circumstances.

“I made the same PSAT score in 10th and 11th grade.  School doesn’t prepare you for the PSAT except for math and exposure to reading. Starkville High helped in this case, as I was only at MSMS for a few months before I took the PSAT,” Liao stated.

Liao explains how he prepared for the PSAT. “I didn’t do much, except take a real SAT the week before, reflected in the lack of score change.”

Kevin believes to prepare for the PSAT, you must want it for yourself and think it’s worth it.

“If you decide that preparing for the PSAT is worth it for you, take all the official practice PSAT and SAT tests you can find and understand your mistakes,” Liao explained.

Liao elaborates on how hard you have to work and gives advice to those juniors that will be taking the PSAT next year in October.

Liao explained, “The PSAT can earn you a lot of money for just one test, so I would advise you to take it seriously. It’s unfortunate that you enter MSMS and are immediately overwhelmed by the new setting. So I think for most people, the PSAT falls down the priority list, which is understandable. Every junior needs to think for themselves if the opportunity cost of studying for the PSAT and the potential money is worth sacrificing time at the start of MSMS. For some, it may not be worth it considering all the academic and social adjustments you undergo at MSMS. Honestly, I would score the practice test that you take at the start of the year and see how close you are to the past year cutoff. From there, I would either commit to studying for the PSAT or not studying. I think barely studying will waste your time because it won’t be enough to increase your score significantly. If you’re scoring really far off, unless you are really motivated and committed, I wouldn’t bother worrying about it. There’s just not enough time.”