Study Hour Pancakes Sold for United Way

Junior+Millie+Purdue+was+among+the+many+students+who+purchased++study+hour+pancakes+for+The+United+Way.+

Mariat Thankachan

Junior Millie Purdue was among the many students who purchased study hour pancakes for The United Way.

Hayden Stokley, Staff Writer

The MSMS Residential Life Staff orchestrated a charitable event to benefit local Columbus nonprofit, The United Way, by cooking and selling pancakes.

Staff members, who plan to continue the fundraising event throughout the year, began selling the breakfast food at 7:00 p.m. on Nov. 1,  and continued sales until 9:00 p.m. The sessions lasted during study hours and acted as a study break and treat during this time.

Students reported to the first floor lobby of Goen, the school’s female residential hall, during study hours and paid two dollars to receive pancakes and a cup of orange juice. All proceeds were to be donated to the Lowndes County branch of United Way on behalf of MSMS.

Ms. Latoya Bledsoe, Goen Hall Director, serves as the MSMS coordinator representative for United Way of Lowndes County. Her work involves finding methods to raise money on behalf of the school and bringing the two organizations together through common community outreach goals.

United Way Worldwide is a global social services organization focused on fighting “for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community,” according to the group’s website. The local branch focuses on education, income, and health on a level that operates especially in areas nearby to the MSMS location.

Bledsoe expressed interest in finding distinctive, successful ways to raise money for the Columbus branch, but she understood that creativity was key in sparking the interests of high school students and promoting sales.

Bledsoe commented that she “wanted to think outside the box in finding various avenues to generate a contribution on behalf of MSMS.”

“Students love food,” she acknowledged. “So, why not start there for such a good cause?”

Jagger Riggle, a senior who purchased pancakes Wednesday, agreed with Bledsoe’s sentiments.

“The pancakes tasted really good. It’s great that they were for charity,” stated Riggle. “It was nice to have pancakes, because we don’t usually have those here.”

Another student, Anjeli Hoskins, added that the pancakes “smelled really good and looked good, too–and home-made.”

Bledsoe expressed confidence in the event and an overall sense of success for the first MSMS Study Hour Pancake Event.

I think it went fairly well,” Bledsoe commented. “We raised a total of $83 so far.”

She added, “Another date is planned for round two of study hour pancakes!”

The United Way Annual Campaign begins this November and lasts until January.

Bledsoe promised, “MSMS definitely will be giving back this year!”