Student Spotlight Shines on Tyra Lockett

Tyra+was+sitting+outside+studying+and+decided+to+smile+for+the+camera.+

Chanclinique Hairston

Tyra was sitting outside studying and decided to smile for the camera.

Jilkiah Bryant, Staff Writer

Tyra Lockett, a 16 year old junior at MSMS, was born April 22, 2001, and is a native of Noxubee County.

Tyra decided to come to the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science because she saw it as an opportunity to better herself. “The reason I came to MSMS is because I saw my opportunity for greatness and pursued my dream. MSMS has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. Being surrounded with an environment full of gifted students like myself motivates me to put all my efforts forth to strive now so I can become successful later,” Lockett explains. Tyra hopes to become a responsible young adult from her experiences at MSMS.

Tyra is passionate about pursuing her future career and making her family proud. “My family is my world. I hope to make them proud one day. My dream career is to become a Pediatric Physician. Kids have always been a joy in my life ever since I started taking care of my young family members. It’s going to be a long journey towards what I want to be, but my mother always told me if I do something I love, it’ll never feel like I’m working a day in my life,” Lockett elaborates.

Lockett hopes to live up to her mother’s philosophy by doing the things in life she loves and expecting happiness from those ideals.

Other facts about Tyra:

She loves neutral colors. Tyra exclaims, “Pale pink, mauve, nude, mocha and taupe brighten my day!”

Her favorite after school snack is Gushers.

Lockett doesn’t have a favorite food, but if she had to choose it would be lasagna. In addition, she enjoys Christmas because of the baking cookies for Santa with her mom and younger sister, Chloe.

Lockett also loves to write and she loves music. “Writing is a way to for me to escape life and explore the fictional world and music helps me disappear into smooth melodies,” Lockett states.