MSMS Engineering Club Sets Up Shop

Beckett Voges-Haupt

The Engineering Club discusses Santa’s Workshop

Beckett Voges-Haupt, Sports Editor

The MSMS Engineering Club held its interest meeting for the first ever Santa’s Workshop on Tuesday, September 12.

The Santa’s Workshop project aims to make around 500 toys to give away at Christmas time to kids in the Palmer Home for Children and Boys and Girls Club. The Engineering Club plans to reach 160 kids with their donations. The Club will 3D print and make toys like fidget spinners, catapults and customizable boxes. The customizable boxes will allow children to paint and apply different finishes to them based on their age group.

“I’m looking forward to the students coming together and making toys for the kids who are less fortunate in the community and for MSMS finding a way to plug into the community and give back,” said Daniel Smothers, Engineering Club President.

“We created a list of 12-15 potential projects and began going through costs and time requirements of each project. We also accounted for each of the different tools needed. A lot of thought went into these projects. These toys were selected because we could make them more efficiently. We started a list at the end of last year for Santa’s Workshop and cut projects down,” stated Leah Petit, Engineering Club Officer.