An Advancing Career for the New Director of Advancement and Admissions: Dr. Kate Borsig

Dr. Kate Borsig joins

MSMS Public Relations

Dr. Kate Borsig joins

Yousef Abu-Salah, Co-Editor in Chief

Originally a middle school teacher in the Columbus Municipal School District, Dr. Kate Borsig has joined the ranks of MSMS to serve as the new Director of Advancement and Admissions.

She has returned to MSMS in order to pursue even more opportunity and success for MSMS. “I worked at MSMS from 2002-2004 and loved the school. I left to pursue research opportunities at The W and spent twelve years there. Those years of experience writing grants, designing programs to solve real world issues, researching, and completing my Ph.D. in educational leadership prepared me for this new role at MSMS,” Dr. Borsig states.

As the new Director of Advancement and Admissions, Dr. Borsig will have a wide variety of responsibilities and roles for MSMS. “As the Director for Advancement, I oversee admissions and public relations and am responsible for managing constituent relationships (alumni, parents, foundation and business community) and fund development,” Dr. Borsig explains.

Prior to joining MSMS, Dr. Borsig has had an illustrious career marked by many accomplishments. For example, Dr. Borsig has been a major influence at the Mississippi University for Women for twelve years.

“I spent 12 years in various administrative roles at The W including director of the Roger F. Wicker Center for Creative Learning, director of the Mississippi Governor’s School, director of the Student Success Center, and director of Outreach. I also taught more than 20 graduate and undergraduate courses in gifted education and leadership. I had a great tenure at The W and was passionate about the meaningful work I was able to complete.”

In addition, Dr. Borsig has authored two college textbook chapters which have been published in educational journals, and she has served as an editor or reviewer for several national publications. She has had many other accomplishments in the realms of speaking and project funding, raising more than $15 million in project funding and winning the Karnes Award for significant contributions to the field of gifted education.

She has also served on the boards of several organizations such as Global Connections, Golden Triangle Regional Homeless Coalition, Columbus-Lowndes Boys and Girls Club, Columbus Main Street Association, Columbus Rotary Club, Parents for Public Schools, Mississippi Association for Gifted Children, Mississippi Future Problem Solvers, National Association for Gifted Children and National Council of Governor’s Schools.

Dr. Borsig is currently looking forward to the upcoming year, and she already has become acclimated to the MSMS experience. “The MSMS community has been very welcoming. I’m thriving on the challenges of this position and the opportunity to contribute to this very special school. It’s been a whirlwind six weeks and has confirmed to me that I’m in the right place,” Dr. Borsig states.