MSMS Students Cast their Votes in Mock Election

Vivienne Tenev

Daudreanna Baker (left) and Kaleigh Leiva (right) supervise the mock election booth.

Vivienne Tenev, Assistant Photography Editor

On Monday, students had the opportunity to voice their opinions on who should be America’s next president. In Hooper Lobby a booth was set up where students could cast in their votes.

Ms. Julie Heintz, organizer of the event, explained that the mock election allowed students that may be left out on election day to have their say. “We wanted to have our students involved in the civic process, and so even though most of our students could not vote, we still want you to have a chance to voice your opinion.”

In addition to the main contenders, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, other options students could vote for were Darrell Castle, Rocky De La Fuente, Jim Hedges, Gary Johnson, and Jill Stein.  

One of the other goals of the mock election was to see how closely MSMS students’ choices correlated with the rest of the country’s.  “We chose to do it on Monday because that way we could kind of see if we were an indicator of what the country does at large,” Heintz said.       

The votes have been tallied, with Clinton winning 54 percent of the votes, Trump following with 18.5 percent, Johnson with 8.1 percent, and Stein, Castle, De La Fuente, and Hedges with 7.1, 1.4, 0.5, and 0 percent of the votes respectively.

With the mock election over, students can only wait until the real election to see how the results turn out.