Mock Trial Advances Further Than Ever in State Competition

Courtesy of Nadia Colom

MSMS Team 1, which won 2nd place overall, posing with their giant gavel.

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

MSMS students traveled to Jackson Feb. 26-27 to compete in the Mississippi Bar Association’s Mock Trial Competition. An article written earlier details the procedures for Mock Trial and their preparation for the regional competition that occurred on Jan. 30. At regionals, both MSMS teams advanced to the state competition. At this weekend’s state competition, which took place in the Hinds County Courthouse, both teams placed in the top six. Out of 16 schools, Team 2 placed 4th. Team 1 advanced to the championship round and placed 2nd overall, further than any other MSMS team has reached before. Sacred Heart placed 1st and will advance to the national competition.

Junior Sam Williams believes the MSMS teams “were definitely well-prepared, much more than most teams there.” In fact, Williams continued, “The most difficult round was against the other MSMS team.” The teams prepared by having practice rounds every Sunday.

Senior Tiana Spivey said, “We advanced like we had prepared. Preparation before state competition was brutal almost every day preparing for the competition.” On an average week, the mock trial teams spend about four and a half hours in debate class together, along with several hours of practicing and memorizing their speeches and cross examinations outside of class.

At state competition, there are four rounds. After four rounds, awards are announced, along with the top six places. The teams in the top two places then go head-to-head in a final championship round. When MSMS Team 1 was announced to advance to the championship round, the roars and cheers from the MSMS teams were deafening. (Be sure to read Carly Sneed’s opinion piece on her thrilling experience in Mock Trial in both her junior and senior year.)

As MSMS was so close to reaching nationals, the Mock Trial class will continue meeting each Tuesday to prepare for next year’s competition, hoping to reach 1st place and advance to nationals.