Swinging Back into Tennis Season

Michelle Li, Sports Editor

For MSMS students interested in tennis, it is time to dust off those racquets and lace up those tennis shoes because the season is starting. With practice almost everyday after school, the team will be focusing on getting back into the swing of things in preparation for the start of the 2016 season.

Boys’ co-captain Meilun Zhou said, “I believe we will have a very successful tennis season. Last year we had four individual teams make it to State, and by looking at the talent this year, I definitely believe we will have equal or greater success. We have a lot more people interested and coming out to play compared to last year, and I just think it is great that so many people want to play tennis.”

Zhou also said, “It is a little early to pinpoint anything we need to work on, but we will know the official team soon and start some serious training. It’s looking like it is going to be a great season.

Girls’ co-captain Aylin Memili said, “This year, we’ve got a lot of great new junior tennis players which is very exciting. Although we are just starting practice, the talent seen on the court makes the coming season look bright.

“We hope to pick up as many wins as we can and hopefully advance to state with as many players as possible,” she said, touching on the team’s goals. “That being said, we will need to work hard at practice and stay focused. I’m excited to play and grow with this team and pull in some wins! Go Blue Waves!”

Practice began Jan. 18 after school, and games will begin in early March.