Analyzing AP Test Stress

Kendall Wells

An MSMS student’s practice book with signs of slight use.

Micah Robinson

The year is winding down, but it cannot end without exams. And for some students, Advanced Placement (AP) exams are the first they have to have to go through.

Since these tests cost money–each test is worth about $90–and some colleges offer college credit for a good score, student stress is expected.

Senior Kate Shelton is taking the AP Statistics test even though she doesn’t feel prepared.  Shelton states, “I really need the college credit so I would really like a 5 but I just want to do good.”

Senior Maggie Ford also feels wary for one of her tests, the AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism exam, because she says, “I’m not a big fan of magnetism and a lot of that stuff on the Physics: E&M is new material.”

Ford stated, “I feel prepared for the mechanics and calculus exams because I have had multiple courses to prepare me for the tests.”

Ford took both the AP Biology and AP Physics 1 test last year and is not only going to take the Physics C: E&M but is also preparing for the Physics C: Mechanics and Calculus BC exams.

Senior Steven Oversen, like Ford, is going to take multiple tests. Although these tests, will be his first AP exams ever, he is not worried.

Oversen explains his confidence comes from “the year-long process of learning AP Physics 1 as well as Calculus I and II has given me sufficient material coverage.”

Overall, though, it seems most students lack any stress for the exams. Though the tests are difficult, most MSMS students have decided to carry an attitude of calmness and confidence. In the words of junior Myles Spillers, “I have been taught well by my teacher and I trust that I can do well.”