MSMS Students Awarded at Columbus Chamber of Commerce

Julie Heintz

(From left) Jenny Nguyen, Maggie Ford, Gary Nguyen, Wrishija Roy and Jax Dallas. The students pictured won several awards that were presented by the Columbus Chamber of Commerce.

Yousef Abu-Salah, News Editor

The Columbus Chamber of Commerce held an awards ceremony last Thursday to recognize students who went to school in Lowndes County who performed well in the last school year. These students were either awarded scholarships or recognition, and MSMS students and their faculty representative Julie Heintz saw six names called.

The scholarship winners and students recognized were as follows:

Gary Nguyen was awarded for having the highest GPA of MSMS juniors.

Maggie Ford was awarded for having the highest GPA of MSMS seniors.

Jax Dallas was awarded a $500 corporate scholarship from Steel Dynamics Inc.

Jenny Nguyen was awarded a $500 corporate scholarship from BancorpSouth.

Wrishija Roy was awarded a $500 corporate scholarship from Carl Hogan Honda.

Baili Zhong was awarded a $500 corporate scholarship from PACCAR.

Senior Jax Dallas said of the experience, “I really enjoyed the experience and it was nice to see the local industry giving back to students in their area.”

Gary Nguyen, MSMS junior, also said of the experience, “The Chamber of Commerce luncheon was a wonderful experience. But I felt like it was more about recognizing the seniors who were awarded several corporate scholarships and nominated for the Outstanding Senior title. Though it was nice to attend the event for my award, what made it worthwhile was that I got to see some of the seniors who had helped guide me throughout my junior year being honored for their achievements.”

These students served as incredible examples for both peers and teachers alike. By being awarded these scholarships, they not only were rewarded but also provided an image that all MSMS students should strive to achieve.