Model Security Council Team Ties for First at State Competition

Julie Heintz

MSMS’s Model Security Council participants pose at Mississippi State University. The team came home with eight awards overall.

Yousef Abu-Salah, News Editor

The MSMS Model Security Council team competed at Mississippi State University last weekend, racking up eight awards and earning a tie for first place overall.

The Mississippi Model Security Council conference brought together schools from across the state and Alabama in order to debate resolutions created by the student members. Over 20 MSMS students, advised by history teacher Julie Heintz, donned their formal attire and attended this competition, now in its 38th year.

The competition itself consisted of teams of two that each represented a country on the United Nations’ Security Council. This team would typically take turns researching and debating other delegates in regards to a stack of student-written resolutions. These debates were moderated by students at Mississippi State University who acted as the council’s president and vice president.

Three awards, Best Resolution, Outstanding Delegation, and Most Improved Delegation, were given in each panel by the council president.  MSMS students representing various nations won numerous awards in each category, which are listed below.

Braeden Foldenauer is the president of Model Security Council and won Best Delegation for Russia this year. He has been in Model Security Council for his entire MSMS career, and he truly does enjoy it.

“MMSC was absolutely incredible. The opportunity to experience a taste of international affairs can really help invigorate your passion for politics. I really enjoyed getting to interact with students from other schools and tackle real issues that are affecting the world. Above all though, it was truly amazing getting to watch the successes of all of MSMS’s team members. Everyone has come a long way since the beginning of last semester, and I’ve been able to witness incredible growths and transformations. Overall, the competition marked a very proud time for me, and it has been an honor serving the club,” Foldenauer said.

Jordan Stone is a junior who competed at this event for the first time.

“The council was pretty cool. I really enjoyed viewing the different perspectives that everyone had while also being able to learn about struggles and conflicts that I had never really known about. Mrs. Heintz and Braeden as well as others had really helped us get prepared for this, and I am definitely doing it next year,” Stone said.

Council 1

Best Delegation                             Caleb Eubanks- Uruguay

Council 2

Best Resolution                             Tyler Hartman and Achintya Prasad –United States

Best Delegation                             Alex Monterde and Caleb Robinson- New Zealand

Council 3

Best Resolution                             Keegan Lindsey- New Zealand

Best Delegation                             Sydney Matrisciano and Pal Patel- Angola

Council 4             

Best Delegation                             Greg Billingsley and Samuel Patterson – China

Council 5

Best Delegation                             Mayukh Datta and Mikel Sandifer- France

Council 6

Best Delegation                             Braeden Foldenauer- Russia       

MSMS’s eight awards tied with the most of any school in attendance.  Next year, members intend to participate in the annual event with the hopes of even greater success.