Art Students Receive Scholastic Awards

Vivienne Tenev won the Gold Key Art Award for her piece Home Sweet Home.

Angie Jones

Vivienne Tenev won the Gold Key Art Award for her piece “Home Sweet Home.”

Mariat Thankachan, Photography Editor

Students in the MSMS art classes recently submitted their works to the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards Program, and the winners in the art section of the regional competition have been announced.

The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards identify some of the nation’s most promising and creative writers and artists as a way to encourage the youth in pursuing their passions.

MSMS art students won several art awards out of nearly two thousand works entered. Vivienne Tenev won the Gold Key, Sophia Ali and Haydn Schroader won the Silver Key awards, and Haydn Schroader and Rebecca Chen each won honorable mentions.

Vivienne Tenev, the Gold Key Winner, describes the inspiration for her painting. “I enjoy taking walks outside and one day I went looking for things to take a photo of. As I was walking back to my house, I noticed that the sunset made a beautiful, warm, orange tone over the grass and hay bales, so I took a photo. When I had to pick a subject for art class, I decided to use that photo as a reference because I really liked the colors and composition of it,” Tenev stated.

Tenev’s piece “Home Sweet Home” will advance to the national competition in Washington D.C.

Art teacher, Angie Jones, spoke to the efforts of her students. “These students showed amazing talent and dedication to the arts through their works.  I am very proud of all who took the time to enter such a prestigious competition, and I look forward to our next level of competition. MSMS was well-represented,” Jones said.

The award winners will have their works on exhibit in The Mississippi Museum of Art in Jackson, MS from February 18th through April 2, 2016.

The titles of the works are as follows:

Vivienne Tenev – “Home Sweet Home,”  Gold Key

Sophia Ali – “Gondola,”  Silver Key

Haydn Schroader – “Nap Time,”  Silver Key

Haydn Schroader – “Time,”  Honorable Mention

Rebecca Chen – “Christmas In New York,”  Honorable Mention