The Countdown Begins: Graduation

Cupcakes commemorate the final 100 days before the Class of 2017s graduation.

Photo Courtesy of Ariel Williams

Cupcakes commemorate the final 100 days before the Class of 2017’s graduation.

Wrishija Roy, Assistant News Editor

This past Wednesday, February 8th, senior class officers and sponsors invited members of the Class of 2017 and faculty to a celebration. This celebration marked 100 remaining days until graduation for the MSMS seniors. There were balloons, cake, and over 100 cupcakes adorned with graduation hats and diplomas, all representing the MSMS colors of blue and white.

Some seniors were shocked by the email notifying us of the short time that we have. Connor McCartney says, “It hasn’t really hit me yet. I can’t register that there are less than 100 days until school ends.”

Others have been aware of the looming graduation date, but are not looking forward to it. Darby Meadows says, “I’m terrified. I want to finish high school and leave, but I also don’t want to be faced with the future just yet.”

Photo Courtesy of Ariel Williams

Though many classmates feel fear or refusal, most are anticipating the events of May 20. Laurel Yarborough says, “I’m sad that I may never see some of my classmates again, especially not all together at once, but it is exciting because we’re that much closer to starting college.”

Kate Shelton is also excited about the future. Most seniors can relate to her sentiments when she says, “I hope the friendships I have made will last for much longer, despite the miles that may separate us when we go to college.”