A Backwards Glance into the 2017 Sadie Hawkins Dance

Students+gather+together+for+a+photo+at+Sadies.+

Georgia Tucker

Students gather together for a photo at Sadies.

Georgia Tucker, Sports Editor

This past Saturday, February 11, MSMS students attended the annual Sadie Hawkins Dance in Shackleford Auditorium from 9 to 11 p.m.

The theme for this years girl’s choice dance was “Greasers versus Hippies.” Unlike last year there was not a competition for best couple costumes.

Students came excited and prepared for an entertaining night dressed in leather, tie-dye, flower crowns, poodle skirts, and so much more.

“It was a really fun dance and I hope next year’s Sadies is even better,” Rosie Andrews, Junior, said.

In comparison to the juniors, this was the seniors last Sadie Hawkins and one of the last dances before Prom.

Anna Leland who dressed up as a greaser said, “I was pretty indifferent about this year’s dance, but it completely exceeded any prior expectations that I had.”

Some seniors did not attend Sadie Hawkins last year but decided to partake this year.

“I didn’t attend Sadie Hawkins last year so I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this year’s dance. My date and I dressed up as greasers, which ended up being surprisingly comfortable and simple. It was one of my favorite memories from this year and a great way to unwind,” Madison McLean, senior, said.

The DJ for this year was senior Mason Turner. Turner said, “Preparing for the dance was pretty stressful, especially because I was deejaying and wanted to play music that everyone would enjoy. It ended up being a great night.”

Sadie Hawkins Day originated from Al Capp’s classic hillbilly comic strip “Li’l Abner.” Sadie Hawkins is the only dance at MSMS where traditionally girls ask the guys.