Students Throw Down with Faculty in Volleyball Game

Junior Daniel Otaigbe reaches for an epic save.

Kallia Cooper

Kallia Cooper, Opinion Editor

“Spike! Block! Mine!” These words were shouted more times than I can count at the Students versus Faculty Volleyball Game on October 26 in Pohl Gym. The game was both fun-filled and intense with veteran players and complete newcomers playing together, all vying to be the winning team.

“We decided to have a game so that everyone could come out and have fun, and to bring more attention to the game,” said senior Darby Meadows, who is currently on the varsity team. She added that they started the team because “When you have something that is huge in your life and you suddenly leave it, you feel almost empty without it.”

Everyone involved in the game seemed to be enjoying themselves whether playing or just spectating. “It looked like a lot of fun, and it got kinda intense sometimes,” said senior Wrishija Roy. Indeed, there was one point in the game where the ball did not go out of play for at least 45 seconds, which is a fairly lengthy time for a volleyball game.

Due to the lack of faculty available for the game, both teams had students on them. However, the faculty who were involved in the game, such as Dr. Bill Odom and Assistant Hall Director Daniel Rogers, appeared to be just as excited about the game as the students were. If the ball was not with him, Dr. Odom was usually shouting directions to both his and the opposing teams. Those on the volleyball team were also seen helping others get into the right place or showing them how to hit the ball.

In the end, Dr. Odom’s team  emerged victorious with a score of  20-16. Afterwards, anyone who desired was able to play a short game of volleyball. The Faculty versus Students Game definitely garnered more interest to volleyball and allowed everyone present to have fun while learning more about the game.