New Handbook Available Soon

A photo of the current student boundaries

Kallia Cooper

Kallia Cooper

The old handbook is in effect until the new one is published on the website; but worry not, the Department of Education has just given back our handbook!

Now Executive Director Germain McConnell just needs to read over it and make sure their changes match up with ours. “He is anticipating getting that out, with the revisions, pretty quickly… hopefully within the next week,” said Mrs. Kelly Brown, director of Academic Affairs.

Mrs. Brown also said the revisions made will be highlighted so students won’t have to reread the entire handbook just to know which changes have been made.

Now that that’s out of the way, let’s talk about what’s really on all of our minds; boundaries. The boundaries, as stated in the handbook, are as follows:

“Students leaving the residence halls to go to a location on campus during the academic day are not required to sign out but are restricted to the inside of the fenced perimeter of the MUW campus, Pohl Hall and the MUW tennis courts until dusk.

“After dusk, students may not go beyond or north of Mary Wilson, Subway, or Stark unless attending tutorials in Hooper Science building or Shackelford Hall or having expressed permission. At no time are MSMS students allowed in or to be around the outside of MUW dorms. NOTE: For safety, stay in well lighted areas while walking on campus at night. In general, the following areas are off limits:

(1) restrooms or rooms meant for the opposite gender

(2) roofs

(3) all railroad tracks and their rights of way except to cross going to Shackelford and the Performing Arts Center

(4) rooms or offices that are locked or should be locked

(5) private property without invitation or approval of the property owner (6) any off campus location without proper sign out

(7) MUW Residence Halls”

There is also supposed to be a map of the boundaries posted in both residence halls, which should not have changed from last year. However, there are several areas within the bounds that administration are trusting us not to be without needing to be specifically told because they do not have the best lighting.

Mrs. Brown said that “For safety, [Dr. McConnell] doesn’t want students hanging out in the really dark areas,” and to be wary of the places that may seem just a bit more sketchy than the others.